Summer 2015 Guide to Electronic Music Festivals
The technological advancements of the 1970s ushered in the birth of electronica, one of music’s newest genres. While electronic music has only been around for the past few decades, that’s proven more than enough time for its meteoric rise to become one of the most popular styles in contemporary music.
Pushed along by the huge success of Moby and The Prodigy during the ’90s, the genre has expanded at a breakneck pace since the days of early forerunners like Gary Numan, Kraftwerk, and Herbie Hancock. Today, techno fans and musicians can browse dozens of different EDM concerts and events all over the world.
We’ve compiled just a few of our favorites in our guide to the top electronic festivals of 2015, starting with May and moving chronologically into September. We’ve included a mix of international and U.S. music festivals so that you’re covered no matter where you’re spending your summer.
May: France to Detroit
Nuits Sonores 2015
Our first entry is located in the French city of Lyon, about 300 miles southeast of Paris. If you’re planning on going to Europe this summer, make sure to check out our International Music Festival Guide. (Other entries cover Canada and Australia.)
- Location — Lyon, FR
- Venues — Multiple (40+)
- Date — May 13 – 17
- Tickets — €40 – €138
- 2015 Performers — Carl Craig, Jamie XX, DJ Deep, DJ Tennis, Howling, The Orb
If you’ll be out of the country this summer and can’t make Mysteryland USA, try Mysteryland Netherlands instead, running from August 29 – 30.
Depending on how much you want to spend, you can grab a single day pass or splurge on “Bohemium Premium” lodging and shuttles for the weekend. Fun fact: the U.S. venue is where the original Woodstock took place in 1969.
- Location — Bethel Woods, NY
- Venue — Bethel Woods Center for the Arts
- Date — May 22 – 25
- Tickets — $119 – $2,979
- 2015 Performers — Diplo, Empire Of The Sun, A-Trak, Bro Safari, Classixx, GTA, Moon Boots, Kygo, Doctor P
Electric Daisy Carnival – NYC
- Location — East Rutherford, NJ
- Venue — MetLife Stadium
- Date — May 23 – 24
- Tickets — $229
- 2015 Performers — Armin van Buuren, Bassnectar, Afrojack, Flux Pavilion, Kaskade, Knife Party, Tiesto
- Location — Detroit, MI
- Venue — Hart Plaza
- Date — May 23 – 25
- Tickets — $65 – $150
- 2015 Performers — Disclosure, Squarepusher, Art Department, Danny Brown, Galaktis, Corbin Davis, Urban Tribe
June: Germany, Chicago, Las Vegas
World Club Dome 2015
- Location — Frankfurt, DE
- Venue — Commerzbank Arena
- Date — June 5 – 7
- Tickets — €69 – €232
- 2015 Performers — David Guetta, Steve Aoki, Hardwell, R3hab, Art Department, Sounic
Spring Awakening 2015
- Location — Chicago, IL
- Venue — Soldier Field
- Date — June 12 – 14
- Tickets — $200 – $240
- 2015 Performers — Diplo, Afrojack, Eric Prydz, Paul van Dyk, Tiesto, Zedd, Jamie Jones
There’s still a little bit of time left to enter the Spring Awakening 2015 DJ Contest, but you have to act fast because the submission deadline closes at 11:59 P.M. on May 11. If you’re a Grand Prize Winner, you’ll get to play a set on the main stage. You must be at least 18 years old to enter.
Electric Daisy Carnival – Las Vegas
Can’t make it to the May EDC in New Jersey? Now you’ve got a second chance. (While you’re out in Las Vegas, you might want to look into some summer 2015 California festivals, too.)
General Admission is already sold out, so make sure you grab your tickets while they last. The remaining VIP tickets are on the pricey side, but cover three days of expedited lines, complimentary drinks, gourmet food, and wi-fi. (If you want to get really extravagant, SkyDeck tickets run into the tens of thousands.)
On a fun side note, EDC also hosts weddings (including same-sex weddings) in case you’re looking to tie the knot in an unusual way.
- Location — Las Vegas, NV
- Venue — Las Vegas Motor Speedway
- Date — June 19 – 21
- Tickets — $699+
- 2015 Performers — See EDC – NYC
July: Austria to Seattle
- Location — Salzburg, AT
- Venue — Salzburgring
- Date — July 9 – 11
- Tickets — €99 – €169
- 2015 Performers — Tiesto, Armin van Buuren, Blasterjaxx, Kaskade, Knife Party, Steve Aoki, Don Diablo, Villain
Can’t quite make it all the way to Austria? No worries — EDC shares a similar lineup.
Capitol Hill Block Party
- Location — Seattle, WA
- Venue — Between Broadway and 12th Ave & E. Pine St. and E. Union St.
- Date — July 24 – 26
- Tickets — $125 – $250
- 2015 Performers — Com Truise, Ratatat, TV On The Radio, Les Ambassadeurs, Jamie XX, Wye Oak, The Kills, Chastity Belt
Honorable mention: Northern Nights, featured in our California guide.
August: London to California
- Location — London, UK
- Venue — Historic Hatfield House
- Date — August 1
- Tickets — £40 – £99
- 2015 Performers — Jamie Jones, Boddika, Hector Couto, Skream, DJ EZ, Matt Tolfrey, Richy Ahmed
- Location — Pomona, CA
- Venue — The Fairplex
- Date — August 1 – 2
- Tickets — $79 – $289
- 2015 Performers — Die Antwoord, The Chemical Brothers, Chromeo, Caribou, Boys Noize, GTA, Route 94, Tiga
September: Kansas City to D.C.
Quick heads up: remember Kansas City is in Missouri. (Weird, we know.)
- Location — Kansas City, MO
- Venue — Berkley Riverfront Park
- Date — September 11 – 13
- Tickets — $160 – $260
- 2015 Performers — Bassnectar, Porter Robinson, Datsik, Keys ‘N Krates, Will Sparks, BTSM, Slander, New World Sound
Landmark Music Festival
- Location — Washington, D.C.
- Venue — West Potomac Park
- Date — September 26 – 27
- Tickets — $150 – $200
- 2015 Performers — Chvrches, Chromeo, Dan Deacon, Lion Babe, Drake, Ace Cosgrove
Honorable mention: the 20th Annual Nocturnal Wonderland (running September 4 – 6), featured in our California guide.
If you’re a solo performer or play in a band, call the radio promo team at Planetary Group to talk about how we can help you boost your career. Get in touch with our L.A. team at (323) 952-5050, or call us in Boston at (617) 517-4193.